June 02, 2021
Data science is a broad field that touches on virtually every business domain, from manufacturing to medicine, from finance to publishing.
But how do data specialists think about data and analytics?
We have collected 20 data science quotes from industry experts, providing unique insights to what it means to practice data science within different industries.
1. "It’s easy to lie with statistics. It’s hard to tell the truth without statistics.” — Andrejs Dunkels
2. "In God we trust; all others must bring data." — William Edwards Deming
3. " Wrangling data is like interrogating a prisoner. Just because you wrangled a confession doesn’t mean you wrangled the answer." — Brad Schneider
4. "Data isn’t units of information. Data is a story about human behavior - about real people's wants, needs, goals and fears. Never let the numbers, platforms, charts and methodologies cloud your vision. Our real job with data is to better understand these very human stories, so we can better serve these people. Every goal your business has is directly tied to your success in understanding and serving people." — Daniel Burstein
5. "Data science is a combination of three things: quantitative analysis (for the rigor required to understand your data), programming (to process your data and act on your insights), and narrative (to help people comprehend what the data means)." — Darshan Somashekar
6. "In the next two to three years, consumer data will be the most important differentiator. Whoever is able to unlock the reams of data and strategically use it will win." — Eric McGee
7. "A data scientist combines hacking, statistics, and machine learning to collect, scrub, examine, model, and understand data. Data scientists are not only skilled at working with data, but they also value data as a premium product." — Erwin Caniba
8. "Banks, insurance and healthcare companies all have decades of historical, transactional customer data stored on their mainframe. Mining that data can deliver great value and be used to develop predictive models by analyzing customer behavior in order to offer new, tailor-made solutions, and anticipate customer needs. It has therefore become a strategic priority for visionary business leaders to unlock data and integrate it with cloud-based BI and analytic tools." — Gil Peleg
9. "The role of data analytics in an organization is to provide a greater level of specificity to discussion." — Jeff Zeanah
10. "Data is the language pf the powerholders." — Jodi Petersen
11. "Data science isn't about the quantity of data but rather the quality." — Joo Ann Lee
12. "Data is the nutrition of artificial intelligence. When an AI eats junk food, it's not going to perform very well." — Matthew Emerick
13. "If someone reports close to a 100% accuracy, they are either lying to you, made a mistake, forecasting the future with the future, predicting something with the same thing, or rigged the problem." — Matthew Schneider
14. "Analytics is 50% math and 50% communication. If a person cannot express their ideas in written or presentation format, it doesn't matter if they can do the math." — Mia Umanos
15. "No major multinational organization can ever expect to clean up all of its data – it's a never-ending journey. Instead, knowing which data sources feed your BI apps, and the accuracy of data coming from each source, is critical." — Mike Dragan
16. "In today's Big Data world, companies rely on data scientists to extract insights from their vast, ever-expanding and diversified data sets... Many people think of data science as a job, but it's more accurate to think of it as a way of thinking, a means of extracting insights through the scientific method." — Thilo Huellmann
17. "Everyone has the right to use company data to grow the business. Everyone has the responsibility to safeguard the data and protect the business." — Travis James Fell
18. "All analytics models do well at what they are biased to look for." — Matthew Schneider
19. "One cannot create a mosaic without the hard small marble bits known as 'facts' or 'data'; what matters, however, is not so much the individual bits as the sequential patterns into which you organize them, then break them up and reorganize them'" — Timothy Robinson
20. "Data is like a faint light when you're lost in a dark room. Follow it, try to make sense of it, and you might actually know where you are and what's around you." — David Sides
Hopefully these quotes will inspire you to learn more about data science and analytics. Data science is a field that requires your constant attention. Keep the importance of data in mind to inform your business decisions in your industry.
Do you have a quote worth sharing? Send it our way!
September 20, 2021
Secondary data is information originally created and used by a primary source for a specific purpose that is then collected and...
September 16, 2021
Data curation is among the most important procedures for managing the enormous amounts of data we have today. The utility of this...
September 14, 2021
Investors are able to utilize Coresignal’s raw alternative data sets to help enhance their AI-based investing strategies. This...